[78-L] what a work of fiction

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 12:16:31 PDT 2010

from you-know-where:

the item is a Victor PRogram Transcription of Stokowski conducting
Schubert's Symphony #8. At least, I assume it is Schubert and not
Dvorak. It was never stated exactly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250692920631&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

The seller says:

"You are looking at one of the rarest records to exist,Most people think
33rpms or lps were not made until the fifties,But The Program
Transcriptions were made in 1931 by the inventor of flat records.In
Canada.,The records were made to replace the 78s but people were not
able to buy the new machines/record players to play the new speed 33
rpm.These records were made by Victor Talking Machine company of Canada
limited,Montreal.The records were made for only one year! Victor had to
stop making the machines and records because no one, or almost no one
could buy the machines and new records Victor scraped the whole plan and
almost all the records and machines were destroyed,33 rpms would not be
made again until the fifties.

This record was bought sometime during 1931 buy Queens University in
Kingston Ontario,This is how I came across the record.It is one sided
made of  a soft material just like present records.Victor had live bands
to record these records this one is by Leopold Stokowski and the
Philadelphia Orchestra,Symphony no.8,in B minor.
The record number in L-11646-S.These records are so rare I could say how
many still Around..The condition is excellent no scratches no scuffs
When I got it it was still in its origanl cover."

=======

OK, so they are not so common, but I would hardly say they are the
rarest record to exist. I would immediately think of Berliners and
pre-dog Victors (or pre-Victor Victors) as more difficult to come by
perhaps, or 20" Pathes, all of which were also commercially produced and
relatively new tech in their respective days. I didn't know that Victor
attempted to destroy all the machines and records - like they would
waste money on that when times were tough...

joe salerno