[78-L] First vocal recording of Temptation Rag

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Sep 5 04:48:44 PDT 2010

Thus all dates in the Abrams files are inaccurate at this point (early 1910), except the
26 Mar 1910 date for mx 04394 by Elida Morris (not 28/3 as misquoted by Steven).
The June 1910 release date confirms that a quick release took 2-3 months from the
recording date. Though it seems they were able to release Christmas issues within
ca. 1 month.

Han Enderman
===
>>> On 9/3/2010 8:47 PM, Han Enderman wrote:
> It may be added that Columbia issued monthly catalog supplements at the time,
> and these will list A-826 as new issue.
> So the question is: which supplement does?
>
> Han Enderman

June 1910. as I posted to ARSCList a couple of hours ago:
Tim Brooks gives a release date as from the monthly supplement of June
1910.  He does not give a recording date for this matrix, but several
just before it do have dates in late March 1910.  He shows two takes of
this, an unmarked take which is on Aeritino D 678, Oxford 4396, and
United A 826, and -2 which is on Columbia A 826..

Mike Biel
-------------
From: "Birgit Lotz Verlag" <Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de>
> Is there any way to find out when Columbia A826, Arthur Collins "Temptaion
> Rag" (mx) was released?

The "Abrams File" (COLA.TXT btw) gives the matrix for the Collins side as
4396=2. It cites the
other side of A826 (by Elida Morris, whomever she was?) as  matrix 4394=1,
having been recorded
on 3/28/1910 (March 28). Given the fact that the two matrices are only
separated by two...the
Collins side may have been cut the same day (or a day or two later?); this
in turn would
seem to suggest that the Collins side was cut sometime between March 28 and
April 1, 1910?!

Steven C. Barr
<<<