[78-L] R: Moreschi G&T [FWD]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Sep 1 17:04:29 PDT 2010

  On 9/1/2010 1:15 PM, Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> > From Wikipedia but a view I totally agree with:
>

> " many of the seemingly
> imperfect vocal attacks, for example, are in fact grace notes
> launched from as much as a tenth below the note - in Moreschi's case, this
> seems to have been a long-standing means of drawing on the particular
> acoustics of the Sistine Chapel itself. The dated aesthetic of Moreschi's
> singing, involving extreme passion and a perpetual type of sob, often sounds
> bizarre to the modern listener, and can be misinterpreted as technical
> weakness or symptomatic of an aging voice."

Some of you may know longtime ARSC member Joe Pengelly from Plymouth,
England.  Joe was himself a high tenor and Counter-Tenor and is a noted
expert on the high male voices.  He had a long held theory about
Moreschi and the Sistine Chapel acoustics being necessary to understand
and hear what Moreschi really sounded like.  About 20 years ago he was
able to do some re-recording via loudspeaker and microphone in a huge
cathedral and the results proved his point.  The long delay and overlap
definitely enhanced the Moreschi recordings.  I am not sure that Joe
would really recommend that the records be reissued with added reverb
and echo, but that this is the location where the records would best be
heard.  Digital devices being what they now are,perhaps he would
recommend it.  Joe is not on line, but maybe one of our English
listmembers who might know him might give him a ring and ask.  I had
hoped that he had included the recording on a wonderful CD he had made
of his performing and technical work but he didn't include it  But he
did include a portion of Caruso's The Lost Chord which he had engineered
a live church organ accompaniment in 1992, perhaps at the same time he
did the Moreschi playbacks.  It is quite good.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com