[78-L] Huh?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Aug 31 16:49:55 PDT 2010

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
----Original Message -----
> From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
>> From c.1953 on, US Columbias were issued up here on the PHILIPS label;
>> however
>> this was around the same time that Columbia's issues no longer were of
>> any
>> interest to the young folks who kept the record industry prosperous...?!
>> The
>> only
>> "major label" who prospered during the "rock'n'roll" era was RCA
>> Victor...and
>> that was because they wound up with Elvis Presley under contract thanks
>> his manager...?!
> I'm not sure what Steven's concept of the "rock 'n' roll" era is,  but
> unless he thinks it ended around 1960,  his statement about Columbia
> records
> is wildly inaccurate.
> In the 60s and 70s and later,  Columbia signed many major rock bands and
> artists,  including The Animals,  The Byrds,  Big Brother, Mott the
> Hoople,
> Blood Sweat and Tears,  Chicago, Iron Maiden,  Santana, Kiss,  Fleetwood
> Mac,  and a guy named Bruce Springsteen.
> Sort of off-topic,  but Steven's statement either needed clarification or
> refutation!

What you (Mr. Bowie) are doing is making a common error...?!

"Rock'n'Roll" (originally based on boogie-woogie, but quickly
changed to an easier-to-play "1-2-*3*-4" 4/4 format!" basically
existed from the early fifties until some point in the early
sixties. I VUZ DERE, CHOLLY!! When psychedelia gradually took
over pop music (1964-65 and ALL 4/4 time!), "rock'n'roll"
gradually became "old-fashioned;" the revival group Sha Na Na
did their best to revive authentic "rock'n'roll," but "rock" (its
direct descendant) gradually took over!! During the 1965-7?
"rock era," much (most?!) pop music seemed to assume that
the listener had enjoyed one or more "tokes," and could
thus comprehend and enjoy the psychedelia...?!

Note that your above list is "ROCK" bands...NOT "rock'n'roll"
bands!!

Steven C. Barr