[78-L] Vogue picture record R784

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Aug 29 15:06:39 PDT 2010

The harsh reality is that the values/prices of 78's do NOT reflect their
"rarity" (insofar as that can be established...?!)! I have two particular
78's for which this applies...?! The first is an Okie record; the label
would appear to have been aimed at "okies" (folks from OK) who
worked in the steel mills in/near Gary, Indiana...?! The contents are
routine "hillbilly" material (probably NOT in the c&w discog?!)!

The second is a special promotional Radiex disc...announcing
that Radiex records (Radiaces?!) are now electrically recorded.
Both matrix numbers and catalog number are NOT in the
usual series. AFAIK, NO other GG accumulators have ever
encountered this disc...?!

Based on "rarity," both of these should be worth uncountable
sums of $$$; however, I doubt if that is actually the case...?!

Meanwhile, an original Robert Johnson 78 of "Sweet Home
Chicago" will sell for a few thousand bucks; an original copy
of Kokomo Arnold's "Old Original Kokomo Blues" (from which
RJ's tune was copied...!) brings maybe five bucks at best!

Steven C. Barr