[78-L] 78s - Capitol/ Parlophone/ The Beatles

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 29 07:08:49 PDT 2010

I have always wondered what the quality was of the Beatles 78s from
India and the Philippines. The Philippines 78s I have from the 60s
sound really good, as do the Indian ones. The Philippines 78 of the
The Young Ones by Cliff Richard on Parlophone is really loud (great
bass) and quiet. The Indian 78 of Mexican Shuffle by Herb Alpert on
Statesside (an EMI label) is equally nice. Both are superior to the
domestic 45s.

Of course I've also always been curious as to which of the myriad of
mixes that seemed to come out of Abbey Road were used for the 78s --
mono mixes, reductions from stereo, etc ..... but my wallet will not
afford that opportunity