[78-L] Shootin' for Barr (was "Huh?")^

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Sun Aug 29 05:21:12 PDT 2010

And
Fleetwood Mac - Reprise

RayK

From: "eugene hayhoe"

Animals - MGM
Kiss - Casablanca

--- On Sun, 8/29/10, Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com> wrote:

From: Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
Subject: [78-L] Shootin' for Barr (was "Huh?")
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Date: Sunday, August 29, 2010, 2:15 AM

To go one further on another of Mr. Barr's blanket statements of
questionable validity, Decca didn't do too badly during the "rock era"
(assuming we're just talking about the time until Elvis went into the army).
They had a guy by the name of Bill Haley who sold quite a few records. Buddy
Holly was on Decca and then the label's subsidiaries, Coral and Brunswick.
Johnny Burnette's Rock 'n' Roll Trio, which also recorded for Coral, was one
of the wildest, most incendiary groups on the planet. Then there was
Capitol, which boasted acts like Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps, Tommy Sands,
and Sonny James. Columbia also had Carl Perkins after his Sun career was
finished. In fact, the rock 'n' roll craze was so great, it encompassed just
about every label that issued popular music. They wouldn't record it if they
didn't think it would sell. Rarely did rock 'n' roll records get to the top
of the charts, but check out all of the rockabilly records done by RCA,
Decca,
 Columbia, and Capitol
(arguably, the four "majors") during the late '50s and you will see that RCA
was not the only game in town. Maybe Mr. Barr can get his head out of
Whitburn and find out what really was going on in the record industry during
this time.

Steve, stick to Grey Gull.

Cary Ginell...?!

78-L at klickitat.78online.com