[78-L] The Label - The Story of Columbia Records.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Aug 25 19:53:49 PDT 2010

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> Once an error becomes part of a standard reference work, it is
>> effectively
>> "carved in stone"! There are still 78 collectors who refer to the ARC
>> labels
>> as "Mills labels"...thus perpetuating an error of MANY decades past...?!
>> Steven C. Barr
> Yes...and would you believe it...there are still some collectors who state
> that all early 30s  house dance bands always used stock arrangements and
> all
> sounded the same!

Well.that statement was based on my having listened to a LOT of 78's!
Many of these were lumped by Rust under "ARC-BRUNSWICK BANDS"...
often their performances are very similar to the same songs on Bluebird...?!
Guy Lombardo had a very distinct (and often derided) sound; however,
I generally can't identify these "house bands" by listening to them?!

Since most of these records sold in quantities of a few thousand (or
often less...?!) it seems unlikely that the companies (or even the bands)
would have invested in arrangements, when the publishers would
happily supply "stock" arrangements...?! In a few cases, specific bands
had members whose playing was easily audibly specific, of course...!

Steven C. Barr