[78-L] November 9, 1921

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 24 23:25:40 PDT 2010

  On 8/24/2010 8:51 PM, Royal Pemberton wrote:
> Since the early RCA home recording system involved embossing the soft
> plastic discs, I wonder how much of the sound has been lost from them
> through the years due to the material tending to spring back to original
> shape (if at all)?

I think I had even mentioned that possibility way back in my 1977
dissertation.  I don't think we know or can know unless some took
measurements many years ago of some discs.  I would think that there
might be some differences depending on the heat of storage.  Also
remember, there are two types.  The small white label s6-inch discs are
not solid plastic.  They have a cardboard core under relatively thin
celluloid or vinyl sheets.  The regular sized orange label discs are
vinylite or victrolac which is supposed to be the same thing.  Lennick
has said he has seen some of the Canadian ones with the greasy
outgassing, but I don't see that on the U.S. ones.

Also remember that many dictating machine systems embossed on vinyl as
well, Dictabelts. Gray Autograph, SoundScriber, Memovox, Edison Diamond
Discs (the 7-inch red dictating machine discs in the 50s), Amertype
Commando film recorder, and I believe, the Wagner-Nichols.  There is a
possibility that the W-N cut a groove because it was of such high
quality, but all the others embossed a groove on blank vinyl or
celluloid.  I don't know of any of these losing their grooves, because
while the RCA would possibly spring back to unmodulated grooves, these
might spring back to blank!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com