[78-L] Oldest Happy Birthday Recording

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 24 18:54:14 PDT 2010

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
>
>> Jim Shulman wrote:
>>
>>> And we can thank the 1935 copyright for the ghastly birthday chants you
>>> hear
>>> in chain dinner-house restaurants (such as Applebees, Ruby Tuesday's,
>>> etc.)
>>> who abhor paying a license fee for using the traditional song.
>>>
>> Then we all had better celebrate our birthdays quietly.
>>

> At OUR ages (78-L and 78 record collectors/accumulators .usw)...each
> successive
> birthday we reach whilst alive and NOT institutionalized deserves a
> celebration...?!
>
> We don't yet know whether a new generation of music fans (as opposed to
> the trash they presume to be "music"...?!) will arise and purchase (or even
> haul off?!) our MANY original 78's?! Remember that the upcoming
> generation of music lovers/players regard even analog LP's and 45's as
> curious and ancient artifacts; while it is STILL possible to purchase
> players with the "78" speed, virtually all thereof do NOT have a 78-
> capable needle (3 mil...?!

Some of my family are openly hostile towards my (small) collection. I
fear for its safety once I am not here to dust it off once in a while. I
think it arises from the several moves they have helped me with ("How
many more of these Damn boxes do you HAVE?").

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.