[78-L] The Label - The Story of Columbia Records.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Aug 24 16:30:45 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> It's still worth reading, and he's on much firmer ground once he gets to
> the
> stereo era. But fact checking by people at the Library of Congress or half
> the
> people on this list would have found hundreds of errors that could easily
> have
> been corrected, beginning with the cover illustration (a mono number on a
> "360
> Sound Stereo" label). This isn't being picky..this is about basic
> incorrect info.

Exactly! When folks author/compile works intended for "reference," they
become (or SHOULD become) responsible for any/every item of data
included. I am still expecting (well, hoping?!) to go through the "Abrams
Files" and verify and/or correct EVERY entry in my "Dating Guide"...?!

Once an error becomes part of a standard reference work, it is effectively
"carved in stone"! There are still 78 collectors who refer to the ARC labels
as "Mills labels"...thus perpetuating an error of MANY decades past...?!

Steven C. Barr