[78-L] Francisco Salinas on Columbia

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Mon Aug 23 19:35:23 PDT 2010

I'm in the middle of a small recording project to convert my guitar solo records into CDs for myself.  I've transferred my Francisco Salinas and Guillermo Gomez discs on Columbia and realized something about one of the Salinas sides.
I have two Salinas records.  It's my understanding that these were recorded in 1926.  They are catalog numbers 2719-X and 2720-X.  However, the labels date to 1936-37 (blue label with COLUMBIA in all caps).  I don't know when they were actually released - presumably 1926 - but perhaps they were in the catalog for a while or re-released.  The Gomez discs were from 1928 and I have some with the 1928 (green Viva-Tonal) style label and some with the 1936-37 style label.  Why am I saying this?  Because one of the Salinas sides, Suplica de Amor on 2720-X sounds like a dub.  It's awful sounding.  I tried it with both a 2.7 mil and 3.0 mil stylus to see if that had anything to do with it.  The 2.7 seemed a tiny bit better but still terrible.  All the discs are E or E- condition.  The other 3 Salinas sides and all 12 Gomez sides I have play beautifully with the 3.0 mil stylus.
My question is whether anyone has this Salinas record, Columbia 2720-X.  I would be interested to know whether you have an earlier label to know whether this problem existed when first released.  Could there have been damage to the master and they dubbed it for subsequent releases?
Thanks,Glenn