[78-L] November 9, 1921

Milan Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 04:51:34 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 3:22 AM
Subject: Re: [78-L] November 9, 1921

> So how did a radio station broadcast 78s? I mike in front of a horn?
>
> joe salerno

As early as 1928. in Yugoslavia, in experimental Radio station - Radio
Belgrade, Slovenian scientist named Mario Osana developed (for broadcast
purposes) thing that would be later better known as electric (MC) pickup.
Described in technical data this cartridge was capable of picking horizontal
undulations of the groove only, while at the same time canceling the
vertical component:

"To broadcast music from records we are using a special device, which
converts records directly from the vibrations into electrical current
without a microphone. This reproduction is cleaner.
Between two magnets, which are wounded by isolated wound wire, was placed an
iron fin, and at the end there is a stylus. Lamella vibrates according to
the music on records and induces the magnetic induction in coils
electricity, which are copied exactly impressed vibrations on record.
However, there isn't any somewhat familiar sound of gramophone reproduction,
since the needle can vary only in transversal direction - the direction of
recorded music. In another direction needle can not vibrate and therefore
does not induce the relevant power in coils"