[78-L] Columbia blue on white labels, revisited

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 22 21:08:30 PDT 2010

On 8/22/2010 11:53 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "David Lennick"<dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> Attn Steve Barr and others..I found another Canadian Columbia from the mid
>> 1910s with a monochrome label, white with blue print. I doubt that it's a
>> custom pressing, more likely from a period when materials might have been
>> in
>> short supply for some reason. And by coincidence I came across the same
>> disc
>> with a normal label, also a Canadian issue. It's a pretty common record,
>> Arrival Of the British Troops In France, Columbia P-23 in the Patriotic
>> Series
>> (did this have a US issue?) from British matrices 29160 and (unreadable).
>> The
>> full color label, which is also on a white background, has a big Union
>> Jack at
>> the top between "Columbia" and "Record" and the blue-on-white label has a
>> "Note
>> the Notes" logo in that spot. Slight differences in the pressings (matrix
>> numbers showing or not showing, ring inside the last groove or not etc).
>> But it
>> does suggest that other discs were pressed with this odd style label.
>>
> It is quite possible that P-23 (and other early "Patriotic" disgs?) were
> issued
> with blue-on-white labels...at that point Columbia(C) had most (all?) of its
> labels printed in the USA! These records are easy to recognize; they use a
> different "font" from their USW versions!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Both say "made in Canada". Both have "price 85c" so we aren't talking about a
reissue where the price had changed. No way to tell where the label was
printed, but maybe the monochrome version was printed here, without access to
all the bells and whistles the Columbia Graphophone Company had in the US. The
blue on white issue looks to be more directly from UK matrices, since the
multicolor version has an added ring inside the end groove, which could have
been added for the US issue.