[78-L] Oldest Happy Birthday Recording

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Aug 22 20:17:15 PDT 2010

From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
> Jim Shulman wrote:
>> And we can thank the 1935 copyright for the ghastly birthday chants you
>> hear
>> in chain dinner-house restaurants (such as Applebees, Ruby Tuesday's,
>> etc.)
>> who abhor paying a license fee for using the traditional song.
> Then we all had better celebrate our birthdays quietly.

At OUR ages (78-L and 78 record collectors/accumulators .usw)...each
successive
birthday we reach whilst alive and NOT institutionalized deserves a
celebration...?!

We don't yet know whether a new generation of music fans (as opposed to
the trash they presume to be "music"...?!) will arise and purchase (or even
haul off?!) our MANY original 78's?! Remember that the upcoming
generation of music lovers/players regard even analog LP's and 45's as
curious and ancient artifacts; while it is STILL possible to purchase
players with the "78" speed, virtually all thereof do NOT have a 78-
capable needle (3 mil...?!

Steven C. Barr