[78-L] Making of the EMI centenary Wax recording - some questions

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:13:45 PDT 2010

1:  Wax.  Looks much like the brown wax used for early cylinders.
1.17--2.13 looks oddly like they were doing tests on lacquer discs.  Why
that would be done, I don't know, as lacquer requires a different type of
stylus from wax, so if they used a stylus suited for wax cutting on lacquer
discs, the results wouldn't be too useful.  And I'd think the harder
composition of lacquer would cause a recording made on it (even with the
appropriate type of cutting stylus) to sound very different to what is
obtained on wax.

2:  Outside start cutting.

3:  It looks like that is the crank to make spirals, be they lead-in or
lead-out.  The machine looks like the wind-up lathes in use by the 1930s at
Abbey Road, so much better than what was being actually used in the early
part of the acoustic recording era.

4:  I don't know.  I've never seen a copy of the record, and as far as I
know, only vinyl pressings were made, not shellac, so there's no way it
could have been safely and successfully played on most any vintage acoustic
player.  The last segment sounds like they tried to make the final record
sound a little scratchier than it really is.