[78-L] November 9, 1921

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Aug 22 16:40:06 PDT 2010

I was going through my files, preparing to send in a manuscript for a
new book I'm writing for Arcadia Press, and I found a rare playlist,
of the songs played on greater Boston's first station, 1XE (later
known as WGI) on November 9, 1921.  Since there was no audiotape back
then, I find these sorts of artifacts very helpful in letting me know
what phonograph records were actually played on radio during those
formative years.

These playlists were sent to the local newspapers so that the radio
editors could publish them.  The records were all obtained via barter
from a local record store, and this night seems to have been an
all-Victor night.  I thought some of you might find this list
interesting, so here's what was played on 1XE that night-- any typos
are directly from the playlist, and some numbers are hard to read due
to the age of the carbon paper:

President Harding March-- U.S. Marine Band [18768-A]

Nightingale and the Rose-- Soprano: Mabel Garrison  [64978]

Humpty Dumpty-- Comic Duet, Billy Murray, Ed Smalle [18810-A]

Scherzo (van Goens)  -- Cello:  Victor Herbert  [64298]

The Want of You-- Tenor:  Edward Johnson  [64985]

Hungarian Rhapsody No.2-- Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra, Leopold
Stokowski, conductor  [74647]

Virginian Judge, Part 1; Walter C. Kelly in Southern Court Scene  [45250-A]
Virginia Judge, Part. 2 [45250-B]  (Comment on the playlist notes
that "All characters which you hear in these two numbers are
impersonated by Walter Kelly alone.")

When It's Springtime in Virginia-- Women's Quartet [17437-B]

Tuck Me To Sleep in my Old 'Tucky Home (fox trot) -- Benson Orchestra
of Chicago [18820-A]

Drowsy Maggie (Medley of Reels) -- Irish Pipes, Patrick J. Touhey [18639-A]

Love Sends A Little Gift of Roses-- Baritone:  Reinald Werrenrath  [64964]