[78-L] Various Rollini Concerns

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 22 11:58:33 PDT 2010

Ate wrote:

Rollini did not record with Venuti in June 1928. I think you are confusing
him with Don Murray on baritone.

***
Indeed -- I have owned that 78 since I was a child, and had even looked up the date long ago and saw that it was Murray. It sounds so much like Rollini, though, and I am not the only one confused -- as was John Altman in 1976:

If you want to hear him really cut loose, try Venuti’s version of the late Rube Bloom’s “Man From The South” where, after the composer’s vocal chorus, Rollini charges in with what must be one of the most fiery solos on wax.
http://www.jazzprofessional.com/report/John%20Altman_Rollini.htm

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com