[78-L] Columbia blue on white labels, revisited

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 21 21:52:51 PDT 2010

Attn Steve Barr and others..I found another Canadian Columbia from the mid
1910s with a monochrome label, white with blue print. I doubt that it's a
custom pressing, more likely from a period when materials might have been in
short supply for some reason. And by coincidence I came across the same disc
with a normal label, also a Canadian issue. It's a pretty common record,
Arrival Of the British Troops In France, Columbia P-23 in the Patriotic Series
(did this have a US issue?) from British matrices 29160 and (unreadable). The
full color label, which is also on a white background, has a big Union Jack at
the top between "Columbia" and "Record" and the blue-on-white label has a "Note
the Notes" logo in that spot. Slight differences in the pressings (matrix
numbers showing or not showing, ring inside the last groove or not etc). But it
does suggest that other discs were pressed with this odd style label.