[78-L] Knute Rockne

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Aug 21 15:08:56 PDT 2010

  Considering the recent thread on Will Rogers, it should be noted that
here is an example of the plane crash death of a famous national
celebrity (at least here in the U.S.) 4 or 5 years before Rodgers and Post.

This record and the film of the locker room speech have long been
considered legitimate, going back at least as far as Bud Greenspan's The
Greatest Moments In Sports on Columbia.  Greenspan is very much a
detective in sports films -- he wrote a great book "Play It Again, Bud"
analyzing great sports mysteries on film such as the Long Count, Babe
Ruth's called home run, and Clem McCarthy's wrong call on a race.  If
anybody can get in touch with him, he would be the one who would have
found the answer of the authenticity of the film and/or the soundtrack.
   Here's the film of the speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5YiQqrZCk

Does anybody know where the entire film is?  Note that the IMDb that Han
quotes below states that there is archive film of Rockne included.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com