[78-L] [ToNY] NY Times article and video about the Bill Savory collection

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 17 17:23:04 PDT 2010

On 8/17/2010 8:00 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:

> I always used  a Canadian "nickel" (it WAS!) 5-cent piece, firmly
> taped to the top of the cartridge! To me, the minimal tracking
> pressure of modern playersa results in MORE noise than content
> being reproduced...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Since you are using crystal/ceramic cartridges, it has been my
experience that needing a lot of pressure on these to reduce noise is a
symptom of the point size being incorrect.  The extra weight on a
high-compliant magnetic cartridge like a Stanton or Shure is usually
only needed for tracking the groove and has minimal effect on the
surface noise.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com