[78-L] Subject: Re: MAJOR RECORDS

Margaret G. Still mgstill at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 16 12:16:38 PDT 2010

Thanks to Royal, David & Mike for your responses.

Thank you, Royal, for the name of Thomas J. Valentino; I was then able to
find his NY Times obit at
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/08/06/obituaries/thomas-j-valentino-is-dead-earl
y-sound-effects-producer.html

David, thanks especially for the fact that Paul Bowles' experimental music
was on this label; too bad his music was not in the pile I found.

Yes, Mike, they ARE awful, and strangely consistent. I am still wondering
how they were created or how they were snatched, because they lack any of
the "dirtiness" of live sounds. Wouldn't these clean sounds be much more
expensive to create than "snatched" sound effects? Their cleanness also
makes them less convincing as sound effects because they lack vibrancy.
Presumably, consistency was more the point than dramatic thrust.

Best,
Margaret G. Still