[78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada - Musik des Orients - Folkwa ys reissue

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Sun Aug 15 14:00:16 PDT 2010

Very strange, Steve!
I see the contents of the booklet to FE 4175 alright, but on Hugo Strötbaum's website about 'recording pioneers' I find this
statement:

"The LP mentioned is not the "Musik des Orients"-reedition, but a reedition (not complete) of the Demonstration collection. This was a wax cylinder collection, compiled by Hornbostel around 1920 and consisting of 120 wax cylinders. ....  The Reedition of Folkways (FE 4175) of 1963 contains only 42 out of 120 cylinder recordings, since the edition was not based on the matrices (which were taken by the Russians), but on copies available in US." (Susanne Ziegler in e-mail)

Susanne Ziegler was Prof.Dr. Simon's assistant.

The 'recording pioneers website' is here:
http://www.recordingpioneers.com/RP_HORNBOSTEL1.html

How can we solve this mystery?  Was the Decca 2-LP set the one with 42 cylinder transcriptions maybe?

Benno

--
Wassertemperaturen in Deutschland
Sommer, Sonne, Strand - wer braucht Abkühlung? Die aktuellen Wassertemperaturen und Windgeschwindigkeiten für Deutschlands Badeseen gibt´s auf arcor.de.