[78-L] Greta Keller LMS Question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 15 13:14:03 PDT 2010

>From part of the thread below:
>> Decca DID make arrangements (or use pre-
>> 1946 matrices?!) to create a series intended to compete with Victor's
>> "Red Seal" series(ses) and its Columbia equivalent...?!
>>
>> There WERE 20***/25*** Deccas, which drew from the above series;
>> these series ended c.1935-36, when Decca realized there was more
>> money to be made in non-classical trcordings...!  Steven C. Barr

In fact that series probably STARTED around 1936 or '37, maybe earlier..when I find my first Gramophone Shop Encyclopedia (1937?) I'll see how many titles turn up in it. It was definitely still in print in the early 40s but was probably deleted when the shellac shortage became critical. I have (somewhere) one Gramophone Shop supplement which lists the titles still available "while supplies last". It was an odd series in that it duplicated material still in the Columbia catalogs, with both deriving their masters from Odeon-Parlophone through their respective connections.

Very few of the 20000s and 25000s seem to have been pressed in Canada. Some, not many, are in the 1942 catalog.

dl