[78-L] RCA Collector's Item Record No. 1

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Aug 14 11:28:42 PDT 2010

I have 78rpm images of Coll Items:
# 2 Tommy Dorsey: Just A Simple Melody'/ Whiteman: You Took Advantage Of Me (E3-CS-7920/22), and
# 3 Columbo: You Call It Madness (...23) - rev by Rudy Vallee (...24).
Note the consecutive mxs.
Long ago Art Z. reported No.3 on thin 45rpm vinyl.
At least for No.1, the mailer (envelope) served as sleeve and was sent by Halo Shampoo and states:
Here's Your Special Collector's Item Record from Halo!

Han Enderman
===
>>> I haven't seen that one but I've seen some others, mostly on 45s with a "collectors item" sleeve. Things like Paul Whiteman's "Whispering" and Gene Austin and like that, if I'm not mistaken..those discs aren't handy to check at the moment.
dl
> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:10:27 +0000
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> From: agp2176 at verizon.net
> Subject: [78-L] RCA Collector's Item Record No. 1
>
> Just got my hands on a promotional 7 inch 78 produced by RCA for
> Colgate-Palmolive's Halo brand of shampoo. You guys probably have
> seen this one before. Its labeled "Collector's Item Record No. 1" and
> is The Jumpin' Jive by Lionel Hampton (mx.E3-CS-7921) b/w Hunka Dola
> by Benny Goodman (mx.E3-CS-7919). Its pressed on very thin flexible
> material, vinyl maybe, but its not a flexi-disc.
>
> I assume that there is nothing special about the actual recordings,
> but I wonder if the was a Collector's Item Record No. 2 and 3 etc.

<<<