[78-L] Calculating 78 speeds in percentages

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 13 08:35:34 PDT 2010

On 8/13/2010 10:49 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> > By the way, that link [for the NBC Chime Museum site] doesn't work..possible misspelling?
> >

> I forgot to change the url in the message. It is just
> http://nbcchimes.info/
>
> Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com

Fascinating stuff. Re this..

"..an internal NBC Progam Analysis titled First Use of the Famous NBC Chimes...states that "Chimes [were] purchased from Lesch Silver Co for $48.50" on December 22, 1926, slightly over a month after the formation of NBC. This is the only documentation of a source and price for the original set of dinner chimes, and I find the information suspect. The earliest recordings of chimes on NBC are the least expensive dinner chimes manufactured by the J C Deagan company of Chicago; the 200 series with steel chime plates mounted over four tubular aluminum resonators held in a simple wooden frame. This set is listed in contemporary Deagan catalogs for a retail price of six dollars. My guess is that the chimes were purchased for $8.50, a comfortable markup for the dealer. A later error in records or in typing most likely added a "4" to the figure. ($48.50 is also mentioned in an NBC press release dated June 12, 1964, commemorating the 38th year of the Chimes.)

Mistyping $8.50 as 48.50 is simple..$ is the upper case on the "8" key.