[78-L] Calculating 78 speeds in percentages

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 13 07:49:34 PDT 2010

From: mbiel at mbiel.com

> On 8/13/2010 12:05 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> > I rely more on my ear and a good pitchpipe. Percentages aren't fixed in stone and sometimes the pitch changes subtly within a disc, and sometimes drastically. If you're playing NBC airchecks, the chimes should be G-E-C.
>
> Not necessarily true. It is ONLY if the chimes are the Rangertone
> Chimeless Chimes. Practically all of the hand-struck chimes were in
> different keys depending on the model of Deagan Chimes were being used
> in that studio. This is detailed in the web site that Michael Shoshani
> set up with help of Elizabeth McLeod and myself in providing the
> recordings. http://www.nbcchimemuseum.info/ The earliest of the 3 note
> chimes were usually C-A-F.

True..that's what I get for generalizing. But the bulk of NBC network shows in the 40s and 50s use G-E-C. By the way, that link doesn't work..possible misspelling?

> > Variations of 4% aren't uncommon with some labels, especially Decca and Brunswick in the 1930s, but you'll usually have to go UP by close to that amount. Or at least 3%.
>
> On most acousticals the speed shift would be downwards.

Except Columbias which are stated to be 80RPM although some are perfectly on speed at 78. I've had to go up as much as 6% on some Edisons.