[78-L] Calculating 78 speeds in percentages

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 12 21:05:32 PDT 2010

I rely more on my ear and a good pitchpipe. Percentages aren't fixed in stone and sometimes the pitch changes subtly within a disc, and sometimes drastically. If you're playing NBC airchecks, the chimes should be G-E-C.

Variations of 4% aren't uncommon with some labels, especially Decca and Brunswick in the 1930s, but you'll usually have to go UP by close to that amount. Or at least 3%. Again, there's no hard and fast rule about this since Brunswicks in 1932 are usually 3% slow but may be on speed or no more than 1% out by 1938..in New York. To hear Teddy Wilson's "Blues in C Sharp Minor" in C Sharp Minor, a Chicago recording, you need to go up 2.5% as I recall. Then there's that 6 month period in 1929 where New York Victors have to go down to about 76RPM, and most of Helen Kane's Victors need to go UP about 2%....

Have fun!

dl