[78-L] Cameo 0198-B "Jungle Blues"

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at dccnet.com
Wed Aug 11 23:21:02 PDT 2010

Hi, Han,

My website is perhaps misleading.  I only have maybe 20 or 30
Ellington 78s, given to me recently by friends.  Many of these are
Canadian batwing Victors, although there others.  Most of my images
come from someone who doesn't wish to be identified, and others come
from collectors who have been kind enough to photograph or scan their
own rare records for me.  I don't see the flip sides, usually.

The Jepsen I referr to is a three booklet set, about 25 pages each,
called "discography of Duke Ellington," published in 1959.  Volume 1
is 1925-37, 2 is 1937-47 and 3 is 1947-59.  The publisher was Debut
Records in Denmark; these are softcover, and the paper is sort of
like the paper we used to see in pulp fiction pocketbooks of the era.

I don't know where Cameo's numbering stopped, but it went to at least
0207.  Both Jepsen and Benny Aaslund  (The Wax Works of Duke
Ellington, 1954 version) show Cameo 0207, When You're Smiling, matrix
9320-1, recorded January 29, 1930 and first released on Banner 0607.

Cameo 194 is Rent Party Blues.  Timner's Ellingtonia, 4th edition,
shows it as mx 9321-2. Wax Works shows take 2 is unissued, but says
Cameo 194 is take 1.  Jepsen makes it mx 9321-1, which accords with
Wax Works.

Best wishes
David (in Delta)

Check out http://ellingtonweb.ca