[78-L] Sholem Aleichem

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 8 09:19:44 PDT 2010

  On 8/7/2010 7:40 PM, Sherry Mayrent wrote:
> At 05:27 PM 8/7/2010, Michael Biel wrote:
>> Since you have the set, does the Aleichem record in it have both stories
>> and the comments after?
> My copy of the recording does indeed have both stories on it, but we
> included only the first, because of time constraints.
> -- Sherry  Sherry Mayrent  Associate Director, KlezKamp www.klezkamp.org

It is disappointing to hear that the recording was edited on the reissue
because that is something that is deeply frowned upon unless detailed
information about this is described in the liner notes. Henry knows
this, and I hope he did detail the editing in the notes.  We gave Martin
Williams hell about this several decades ago concerning what he did in
his Smithsonian broadway show original-cast re-creation albums, and have
continued to pound him about it past his grave.  It is an altering of
recorded history and removes it from being an accurate document.  In
this case especially because of the folklore concerning the comments
recorded at the end.  (In Martin's case we have to continue to warn
people about not trusting the sets for accuracy about what was on the
original 78, and the case of the Gershwin recording which tricked a
important researcher into thinking she could use the Smithsonian version
for analyzing Gershwin's performing style.)

I hope that you or someone with this original purple label release will
post the entire recording.

The fact that nobody -- including Spottswood's discography and the
Victor project -- seem to know about the black label version that Victor
edited and released is going to condemn me to the basement to find my
copy of it so I can report the number.

At least it IS Sholem Aleichem's voice, so it is not as bad as some of
the tricks Edward R. Murrow played on history in his "I Can Hear It Now"
albums which have been plaguing historians and documentarians for sixty
years.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com