[78-L] Videotape challenge is in the machinery (repost)

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 6 21:21:49 PDT 2010

This message didn't show up in the online archive or the Digest, but at
least a few subscribers got it...strange.  Anyway, for those of you on the
Digest, here it is again:

>From the article:
> > "I Love Lucy" is a notable exception, but that's
> because
> > Desi Arnaz put 35mm film cameras next to his TV
> cameras to
> > preserve the show for posterity.

There were no TV cameras in the mix for I Love Lucy, only film.  The author
is describing DuMont Electronicam, whereby a 35mm film camera and a video
camera shared the same optical path.  The control room saw the output on TV
monitors, and the director called shots based on what he saw in the
monitors.  There may have been some way to record the data on what shot the
director called.  Maybe that data was recorded optically on film?  I can't
remember exactly.

I Love Lucy didn't use this system.

David Breneman says:
> Well, although I believe one season of "The Honeymooners"
> was airchecked on kinescopes, most episodes were recorded with the
> DuMont Electronicam system that was essentially a 35mm film camera
> grafted on to a video camera.

Actually the only season that was made on film with DuMont Electronicam was
the 1955-56 season.  The rest of the Honeymooners shows are sketches that
were performed as part of Jackie Gleason's variouslive  variety shows
(Cavalcade of Stars, Jackie Gleason Show, American Scene Magazine, etc.) or
the later Honeymooners specials.  Starting in the '60s some shows exist on
videotape, but I'm not sure if the show was ever pre-taped at that point or
not.  There certainly would have been no technical reason why it could not
have been.

There are many more kinescoped Honeymooners episodes or sketches around than
the 39 that were filmed in 1955-56.

To keep this on topic, did Jackie Gleason ever record any 78s?  I'm aware of
the LPs (though did somebody say he actually had no connection to those
except for lending his name?).

Sammy Jones