[78-L] Smallest Transcription Disc?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Aug 5 15:15:36 PDT 2010

  On 8/5/2010 8:18 AM, goldenbough at arcor.de wrote:
> .
> Besides their LPs, SESAC published a whole series of EPs (7'' - 45rpm) with jazz, country&  western,
> easy listening music. Especially the Johnny Horton EP is sought after by collectors.  I have a Sy Zentner and several other EPs somewhere.
>
> They were not available commercially, because the discs were sold to radio stations only. The station
> could use the records to program their own shows. The price of the EPs was $20, and the LPs were a
> flat $50, way back in the early/mid 60s.
>
> Benno      in Deutschland

The records were free to radio stations here in the U.S. I believe.  At
least I always got them free.  They were all SESAC compositions, so the
idea was to make it worthwhile for stations to hold a SESAC license by
providing them with some, usually more than were on the open market.
Making them pay for the recordings when they are already paying for a
SESAC license they were not getting full use of would be counterproductive.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com