[78-L] Largest 78rpm "set" of records ?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 4 19:27:13 PDT 2010

From: mbiel at mbiel.com>
> On 8/4/2010 6:30 PM, Thomas Stern wrote:
> > Wonder what the definition of "set" is - L'Anthologie Sonore seems more
> > like an ongoing series (whatever that means)......
> >
> > The CIRCLE Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings was 'only' 45 12" disks.
> >
> > what other large sets on 78, LP, CD?
> > The HEIFETZ collection on LP was pretty extensive...
> >
> > Best wishes, Thomas.
>
> BMG's Toscanini series was over 100 CDs (in separate issues), and there
> have been some complete Bach and Mozart boxes. If you want to include
> music libraries such as World, Standard, Thesaurus, Boozey & Hawkes,
> DeWolfe, Lang-Worth, etc, any of those would dwarf any commercially
> released set!
>
> Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com

Excluding L'Anthologie Sonore, which was ongoing, I think you'd also have to exclude music libraries since they were not intended as finite. Schnbel's Beethoven Series took the better part of a decade, but it was a unified series..Brendel's complete Beethoven piano music on LPs took 5 or 6 years to complete, and then appeared as a 21-disc box set on Murray Hill (right, not 78s, off topic, bad bad bad).

dk