[78-L] Portable recordings facilities

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 4 11:03:11 PDT 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> That was taken off a radio feed, something which was being done as early as 1923 (or earlier..?).
>
> dl

and Mike Biel wrote:

And I think the Victor ledger sheets show which studio they used to
record the Lindbergh broadcast.  There also were six 12-inch sides
published of speeches broadcast that day by Coolidge and Lindbergh.
MCNamee is heard on one of those as well.  But he is not the only
announcer on the 10-inch compilation disc.  The first half of side two
is narrated by John Daniels.

Me:
But do we know if they took it off the air or were able to access the feed via a phone line?  I listened to the three released discs recently, and the sound quality is not bad.  I wish the complete broadcast was available (is it?).

What format did Victor record the masters on?  I think Victor was already pressing Vitaphone discs, so could they have made the Lindgergh broadcast masters on 16" discs?

Sammy Jones