[78-L] Portable recordings facilities

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Aug 4 10:46:25 PDT 2010

From: banjobud at cfl.rr.com

On 8/4/2010 11:11 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> That was taken off a radio feed, something which was being done as early as 1923 (or earlier..?).
>
> dl

And I think the Victor ledger sheets show which studio they used to
record the Lindbergh broadcast.  There also were six 12-inch sides
published of speeches broadcast that day by Coolidge and Lindbergh.
MCNamee is heard on one of those as well.  But he is not the only
announcer on the 10-inch compilation disc.  The first half of side two
is narrated by John Daniels.

The Western Electric experimental recordings are the ones dl is alluding
to, making recordings from WEAF broadcasts of the New York Phil-Sym, in
Carnegie Hall, and broadcasts from the Capitol Theater, etc.  It is one
of the features of electrical recording that they could do "remotes" by
simply recording the ones that broadcasters do (although Arthur Keller
of Bell Labs did set up some stereo mics in the Capitol Theater in 1927
for stereo recording experiments that were not broadcasts.)  The famous
1925 Columbia electrical of The Associated Glee Clubs of America and
audience from the Metropolitan Opera House of "John Peel" and "Adeste
Fidelas" was from a WEAF broadcast.  We are just not sure if these were
recorded off the air or off the telephone company lines.  The two Apex
Radiatone records also from 1925 do seem to have been recorded off the
air, as was Frank L. Capps' recording of Woodrow Wilson in 1923.

But the choral recording reminded me of another case of Victor using
portable acoustical recording equipment in North America before Steve's
mythical date of 1923.  They published in a monthly supplement a
photograph of the recording of the 1600 voice Billy Sunday Chorus doing
"America" and "Sail On" in a tabernacle somewhere around 1916.  Likewise
they did a recording of a gentle strike of the Liberty Bell in
Philadelphia, and in both pictures you see the recording machine.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com