[78-L] Turntable vibration isolation

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Tue Aug 3 11:25:56 PDT 2010

On 03/08/2010, Ron L'Herault wrote:
> I think the material you are looking for is Sorbothane. You can make
> feet from it and rest the turntable on them. ISTR units with the
> sorbothane on each end of springs that actually supported the TT. An
> alternative, as someone mentioned is a slab of concrete or marble.
> I'll bet one can find a marble cheese board or dough rolling board.
> The trick is to cut tennis balls in half and use the halves as "feet",
> under the corners of the marble/concrete pad, on which you would place
> the turntable. The design is one I've read about for minimizing
> vibrations getting to scientific balances and microscopes.

Bear in mind that it is not just springs (whether metal or rubber) that
you want, but springs combined with mass.

The aim is to get a resonant frequency which is below all the disturbing
frequencies and is also well damped.

Rubber damps itself, but one could also use thick oil in a dashpot with
metal springs.

Regards
--
Don Cox