[78-L] "You Gotta Be Kidding" department

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Aug 2 21:54:21 PDT 2010

  On 8/2/2010 10:30 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> "Confounditandplaguetakeit"?! Was that on that website of Elizabethan curses? I'll have to see if I still have the link..
>
> dl

Nope, it is a 78 reference.  W.K. "Old Man" Henderson on Hello World Dog
Gone Records 001 recorded by OKeh (W 403810).  He was ranting about
chain stores and chain stations and peppering his rant with Doggonit.
In fact he opens the other side of the record with "Hello World,
Doggonit, now don't you go away" which was his well known catchphrase.
But as he got all wound up at the end of the rant he used that long
cuss.  It took a while for me to figure it out but this is clearly what
he says,"Confound it and plague take it", unlike what Kurt Nauck says on
page 39 of Nauck the Notes er Note the Naucks er Note the Notes.  When I
corrected him, Kurt says he likes it his way better than what is on the
record.

Mike (doggonit) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com