[78-L] Large collections [was Pack em up and move em out]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Aug 2 20:42:25 PDT 2010

From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> My pension income ($21K/year) doesn't allow for buying these
>> "artificial" milk boxes; I need the dommed money to buy more 78's!
>> AFAIK (I have never actually checked this...?!) I own just short of
>> 60,000 78's; I've never actually verified this, but the "Abrams
>> Files" seem to suggest there were around 300,000 78's issued
>> before the 1942 AFM ban. Of course, many of these were duplicate
>> issues on related labels?
>> What we need is a reliable set of files covering EVERY 78rpm
>> phonorecord issued...?! I am currently working on this, by adding
>> my record-verified changes/additions/usw. to my own copies
>> of the "Abrams Files!"
> Steve,
> Out of curiosity, once you've extracted the information you require from
> 78a, is it necessary to continue to hang on to them? Selling, even at a
> low price, would free up space for you. I have about 5000 78s, and I
> estimate that I only require a couple of thousand more to satisfy me.
> Others that would be of interest are beyond my reach financially.

Odd as it might seem...YES, it is worthwhile keeping the records! In
about 90-95% of cases, I enjoy listening to the musical content (I
might add that I actually enjoy listening to Burr, IK et al and their
vocal versions of "hits!").

Since so far my 1869-1870 home seems NOT to have been affected
by the tons of shellac I store therewithin...I am guessing I can accomodate
MORE 78's...?!

The only stuff which I DON'T enjoy hearing is/are the records made
during the "first musical doldrums" of 1947-55! I might add that
popular music seems to be headed into a similar morass?!..."Urban
Dance" is an endless recycling of rhythms/riffs done MUCH better
by the late James Brown...and virtually ALL of the rest of "pop music"
is at best repetitive (and at worst...well, we won't GO there?!)!

Popular music is LONG overdue for a brand new style! I have NO
idea what this will be...but it will HAVE to be something COMPLETELY
different from the recycled "funk" of today's pop music...?!

Think of how different the first "rock'n'roll" of 1954 sounded
when compared to such dreck as "Doggie In the Window"...?!

Now, try to figure out the result of a similar musical leap...?!

Steven C, Barr