[78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada - Musik des Orients

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Aug 2 16:23:11 PDT 2010

By accident I just saw Parlophone(UK) Album P-59 (PXO 1043-1044) on ebay
(item # 230501229953): Handel's Sonata In D Major, by Goldberg & Moore.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Thanks for all the details about the various 'Music of the Orient' sets.

My cloth-bound Parlophone copy does not show the set number P-57
anywhere, inside or outside. Neither does my German Lindström
cardboard album.
And I have never seen the actual Decca album. I have only individual
discs - which do not show on the labels any indication of an 'order
number' for the set.

The large letter 'K' on the German Odeons and Parlophons indicates
that the album was issued by Lindström's the 'Kunstabteilung' ('arts
department), possibly to make clear that these discs are 'loss leaders',
and the stock does not necessarily have to be profitable (?).  The
'Kunstabteilung' at Lindström was also in charge of publishing the
200-page Lindström anniversary book for shareholders ('26 years
Lindström 1904-1929').

This 'coffee table book' covers 'exotic recordings' in a separate chapter,
with many photos of unusual labels, shops and offices of their
representatives around the globe. Beka, Parlophon, Odeon had huge
catalogs: Arabic, Indian, Turkish, Chinese, Armenian, Brazilian, Bulgarian,
Russian, Siamese, Hebrew, Persian, Lithuanian, Moroccan, Portuguese....

It was from such previously published records that Erich von Hornbostel
made his selection of recordings for the 'Musik des Orients' album.

Indeed, it is surprising that some of these exotic records show numbers
in the Odeon O-4xxx series which was for general German popular music.

Finally, I think that Steve Shapiro is right: the Hornbostel cylinder set
was more likely to have 120 instead of my supposed 200 cylinders.

Benno
<<<