[78-L] Jazz w/strings (was Mitch Miller)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 2 15:38:24 PDT 2010

Billie Holiday also wanted strings and got 'em..as I recall, she also got Camarata, who could arrange anything and who I just read was responsible for suggesting that Ted Heath have Fats Waller's "London Suite" arranged for dance band.

String sections don't always work..think of those lugubrious Glenn Miller AAFTS sides, and those mid 40s Dorseys. Artie could get away with it. Artie could get away with anything. And I say this from the perspective of having played violin for a number of years in my teens.

If you're going to go MOR and use strings, fine. Just don't call it jazz please.

dl