[78-L] Pack em up and move em out

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 29 20:12:28 PDT 2010

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> At 06:43 PM 7/29/2010, you wrote:
>>When I moved five years ago, I self-packed and self-moved about 11,000
>>78s and 10,000 LPs and other assorted musical media, magazines, books,
>>etc. All the records were packed in sturdy boxes. I stacked the 78s
>>(all in sleeves) horizontally, with dividers every 15 records or so. I
>>did not fill the box to the top but left room for packing material at
>>the top. Before putting anything in a box, I first put a divider on the
>>bottom to smooth out any uneven areas and spread the weight of the
>>records evenly. To pack the box, I used either newsprint packing paper,
>>which I got from U-Haul, or newspapers. I would shape crude rolls of
>>paper which I would then pack around the sides of each stack, from
>>bottom to top. I would place another divider on top of the records and
>>then pack in more paper so nothing could move in any direction. In
>>essence, each box was a block. I then sealed each box with Post Office
>>packing tape . With a felt-tip marking pen, I numbered each box and
>>identified the general contents by label or principal artist. Only two
>>78s broke. All the LPs arrived in perfect shape.
> Last time I moved all my records about 11 years ago it was a self
> (just me) pack & move of them with a U'Haul truck I rented for the
> local move. Thankfully no breakage but I'd prefer not to move them
> ever again. That last time was enough!!

Back in late 1997, my shellac archive (then around 18,000 records) was
moved for me from Toronto to Oshsawa Ont'o...all still in their
milk boxes! (I wasn't asked to help or advise...!). The only 78's that
didn't survive intact were a very few that were in partly-full crates.

However, the "movers" stupidly rented a 5-ton cube van for the
trip...they weren't aware I owned about EIGHT tons of 78's! When
they loaded the van, there was still quite a bit of space left; however
the van was clearly OVERloaded with the rear tires rubbing on
their wheel wells.

I now own around THIRTY tons of 78's; UCSB wants me to leave
them my collection (I assume they can arrange the requisite
18-wheeler[s?] for that move...?!)

Steven C. Barr