[78-L] Pack em up and move em out

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Jul 29 16:43:33 PDT 2010

When I moved five years ago, I self-packed and self-moved about 11,000
78s and 10,000 LPs and other assorted musical media, magazines, books,
etc. All the records were packed in sturdy boxes. I stacked the 78s
(all in sleeves) horizontally, with dividers every 15 records or so. I
did not fill the box to the top but left room for packing material at
the top. Before putting anything in a box, I first put a divider on the
bottom to smooth out any uneven areas and spread the weight of the
records evenly. To pack the box, I used either newsprint packing paper,
which I got from U-Haul, or newspapers. I would shape crude rolls of
paper which I would then pack around the sides of each stack, from
bottom to top. I would place another divider on top of the records and
then pack in more paper so nothing could move in any direction. In
essence, each box was a block. I then sealed each box with Post Office
packing tape . With a felt-tip marking pen, I numbered each box and
identified the general contents by label or principal artist. Only two
78s broke. All the LPs arrived in perfect shape.