[78-L] Reprise: London Records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jul 28 20:38:36 PDT 2010

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
>> The reason I now use milk crates is I tried to fit 78s in Crisco cans but
>> the records kept breaking.
> Those were for Little Wonder records.

I have used "milk boxes" since about 1978, when I first needed to store
about 3-400
78's! I was lucky enough to get about 250 or so of the old fiberglas crates
c. 1980;
a milk/variety store owner had them...kept them for whatever reason...and
then was
stuck with them, since the dairy no longer used or wanted them and thus
wouldn't
repay the "deposit!" I forget now exactly how/why we connected...but the
result
was that I was welcome to as many as I could haul off. Since I was then a
"cable
guy," I simply loaded my work van with milk boxes (two trips) and took all
that
he had!

One word of warning, though...modern "milk boxes" oftem lose their bottoms
when used to store 78's! They will hold about 120 78's, or 60 pounds; since
records are round, all that weight is borne along the single line running
down the centre of the records. I suspect (but haven't yet tried) this
problem
could be fixed by cutting plywood squares just slightly smaller than the
inside
dimensions of the milk boxes...?!

Sreven C. Barr