[78-L] Blue Rhythm Records: Help Anyone!

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Wed Jul 28 07:26:04 PDT 2010

No, Blue Rhythm records have nothing to do with MBRB. It is an Indian
label, which is unfamiliar to me. I have a copy of Blue Rhythm [lower
case] BR 1001 with parts 1 and 2 of “What is This Thing Called Love” by
a group consisting of Dave Usden, trumpet; Vic Feldman, vibraphone;
Damian Robinson, piano; Pete Blannin, bass; and Freddie Manton, drums.
No leader is indicated. According to the label, the performance was
recorded August 4th 1953 at “British Modern Jazz” concert, Taj Mahal
Hotel, Bombay [now Mumbai, India]. This is the same Taj Mahal that was
severely damaged by terorist bombs November 26, 2008. Matrix number on
the label for Part 1 is JDG-101;  matrix number on the label for Part 2
is JDG-102. The same matrix numbers are stamped in the runoffs but
without hyphens. Top half of the label is blue; bottom half, white.
Typography and a 2-5/8-inch-high ink illustration of a guitarist in
profile are black. The illustration of the guitarist suggests a folk
recording rather than jazz.  Has anyone seen this recording, this
label? Were any other recordings ever issued on Blue Rhythm? Thanks in
advance for any help.