[78-L] Gennett 6000...?

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:48:58 PDT 2010

I don't know if Marsh's later electrics, like the AMOS & ANDY series he
recorded, were better than such records as these 1924 items....I hope so!  I
have Paramount 4004, which is two Milton Charles titles from Marsh matrices,
and the low end falls off very rapidly below about 200 Hz, with virtually
nothing below about 130.  Not exactly good bass response....Stokowski's
earliest Victor Red Seals from 1917 are much better.

Based on the sound quality I'd have to say Marsh built his first electric
recording gear from telephone parts, with an earpiece rigged into a cutting
head.

Case in point....one side of 4004, 'Deep in my heart', from my own
collection:  http://www.box.net/shared/kcli5u3m8s