[78-L] London [was Near You by Francis Craig]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 26 19:51:33 PDT 2010

> From: stevenc at interlinks.net
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:40:19 -0400
> Subject: Re: [78-L] London [was Near You by Francis Craig]
>
> From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> > Might you be thinking of Mercury, which DID set up a Canadian operation in
> > 1949 (and which became part of Quality the following year)?
> >
> As near as I recall (I looked this up in Toronto city directories MANY years
> ago, and
> exchanged messages with the late Ross Brethour, who had done a LOT of
> research thereon...!) Mercury(C) goes back to the Tip Top and Monogram
> labels (both Canadian). The first Canadian Mercurys cite a Newmarket
> location; later ones Toronto.
>
> I assume I have long since lost all my digital archives which included
> messages from Ross...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Seance, anyone? Monogram is another label to find out about. Their pressings were never done by Quality though..I've had them on shellac and weird vinyl (full of watermarks). Monogram even had rights to Tempo for a while, long enough to issue Brother Bones "Sweet Georgia Brown" before that label went over to Gordon V. Thompson's Gavotte label (and my aunt once worked for Gordon Thompson..still a lot of threads to try and catch while people are still alive). Maple Leaf is another Canadian label which issued US independent labels like DeLuxe and King and which seems to have vanished around the late fifties.