[78-L] Cameo 0198-B "Jungle Blues"

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Jul 26 09:23:18 PDT 2010

According to Thomas & Sutton ("The Plaza-ARC Discography" (c) 2008),
both takes -1 & -2 of mx. 9322 were released on Banner 0598, Cameo 0198,
Jewel 5854, Oriole 1854 and Romeo 1215. What take was issued on which
label is not given.
Rust shows the only US issue of both takes -1 & -2 was on Banner 0598,
but that -2 was issued on Vocalion C-0006 and Imperial 1215 in the UK.
There was no British issue of take -1.
Pity you don't have the record. In many cases the numbers on the label
do not match those in the runout area of the record, and takes are
almost never shown on labels. You'd have to have the record to be sure.
And if you want to really be sure you should have multiple copies of the
record for comparison. Sometimes both takes will have been issued on the
same label (as on the Banner issues mentioned above)!
Both Rust and Thomas & Sutton give Jan. 29, 1930 as the recording date.
I believe them.
Anyone else want to chime in on this?
Malcolm

*******