[78-L] London [was Near You by Francis Craig]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 25 18:47:40 PDT 2010

 From: stevenc at interlinks.net

> > On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM, David Lennick
> > <dlennick at sympatico.ca>wrote:
> >> It gets more confusing when London begins to do American recording
> >> (Teresa
> >> Brewer, Jack Teter) and picks up distressed labels (Gene Austin, The
> >> Harmonicats from Universal) and issues them with US numbers but MOST of
> >> them
> >> are pressed in England, although I don't think I've ever seen the Jack
> >> Teter
> >> on anything but a US pressing. In Canada, Max Zimmerman found himself
> >> with a
> >> lot of orders for The Wedding Samba by Edmundo Ros and began having it
> >> pressed locally by Sparton. The Canadian operation began to do quite a
> >> lot
> >> of its own recording (Jim Magill, Aznavour & Roche, Ozzie Williams'
> >> Orchestra) circa 1950 and these were all pressed here.
> >>
> And from c. 1000 (cat#) on, many Canadian Londons are visibly Compo
> pressings...!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Yup. "Music Music Music" is almost always a Sparton pressing in Canada, certain best selling Mantovani sides turn up from Sparton, but from about 1952 they're Compos and from 1955, varied between Compo and RCA. I believe Max began using Sparton in 1949 (I need to speak to his son one of these days, as part of the project I'm trying to start on the Canadian Recording Industry before 1970).