[78-L] London [was Near You by Francis Craig]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jul 25 15:35:55 PDT 2010

From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> Here's a bit of my observations about London and the Deccas.
> A note about something that confounds me. Its those pesky US London
> 78s from the 50s all say Made in England. So, what to put in the
> country column in my database - US or UK. I put US, but my question
> is, where these actually pressed in England and shipped to the USA,
> classifying London of that time as a UK export label?
> BTW -- as an addition to the comments by Han, there is currently a
> London B.12000 series black label 78 on eBay, that may be a US market
> disk made in England

Okeh...to explain...?!

London was originally introduced around 12/47 as a way to
issue British records (including Mantovani?!) to North American
buyers.; I don't know when they started the practice of issuing
other recordings here? I do know that they started recording
in both the US and Canada v c.1950. I have (I think/hope_
Canadian London catalogs from 1954 and 1955, which list
the various series they issued.

Steven C. Barr