[78-L] SIMPLAT Glass based discs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 25 10:31:05 PDT 2010

RUSSELL BARNES wrote:

> A collector living fairly local to me has telephoned saying he has uncovered two 14inch diameter glass based discs.  Plain label bearing the words SIMPLAT DISCS.
> He is unable to play them at the moment because of the diameter.
> Anyone seen or has knowledge of them,  Thanks,  RB

Yes, they were an early coated disc which, unless I've gotten my brand
names confused, needed to be baked after recording to harden the
surface.  Despite it being on glass, it is not a wartime disc, but from
the early to mid-30s. I think it was of German origin.  I'm surprised to
hear of the large diameter of it because the ones I've seen were 8 or
10-inches if I remember.  I'd have to check the videotape I took of the
collection back in 2001 in London.  I'd be VERY interested in finding
out more about the discs, what was recorded on them, what date, what
speed, and getting a scan of the labels.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com